Route 1: Ledbury Cider Cycling Route
Route 2: Pembridge Cider Cycling Route
What better way to explore the Herefordshire countryside than by bike. See, hear and smell the countryside, stop on a whim and visit some of the county’s finest Cider producers.
The 20 Mile Ledbury Cycle Route and the basic 19 Mile Pembridge Cycle Route guide you along quiet lanes in one of England’s finest cider-growing areas. Let the exercise enhance your enjoyment of tasting the ciders on your tour and if you stop for a pub meal, seek out dishes made with local cider.
Produced by Herefordshire Tourism in partnership with the Ledbury Area Cycle Forum, the Cider Cycle Route Leaflets are available from Ledbury Tourist Information Centre (01531 636147) each priced 75p incl. P&P., other Tourist Information Centres around the county or you can email a request for one.
Route 1: Ledbury - Directions
The 20 mile circular route starts at the railway station in Ledbury.
- Out of Ledbury Station cross over the road and head on the Town Trail following the railway embankment.
- Straight on at Bye Street to stay on Town Trail
- Right at end onto road
- Left at T Junction
- Straight on at roundabout(signposted Little Marcle) and continue for 2 miles.
- Right at T Junction (A4172, signposted Leominster/ Hereford/ Trumpet)
- Left (signposted Aylton/ Putley) for 1 mile.
- Left at T Junction (signposted Fownhope/Much Marcle) and go for 3 miles passing through Kynaston and Rushall, note Left at fork (unsignposted) 1 mile after Rushall.
- Right at T Junction (signposted How Caple/ Hereford). Visit to Westons Cider Mill. N.B For a short cut turn left at T Junction (signposted Much Marcle/ Ledbury) Straight on across A449 (signposted Dymock/Newent). Visit Gregg’s Pit Cider. Then continue 1 ½ miles. Pick up main route at ** below.
- Left at x- Road (signposted Yatton/ Ross). Lyne Down Farm is located just along this road.
- Left after Lyne Down Farm (opposite “Kittles”)
- Straight across at the A449 (Signposted Kemply) and continue for 1 mile
- Right at T Junction at the Old Lodge
- Left at T Junction (Signposted Kempley Green/Dymock)
- Left at T Junction ( Signposted Dymock) at St Edwards Church
- Left at Right bend (signposted Much Marcle and St Mary’s Church) and continue for 2 miles.
- Right at T Junction (Signposted Windcross/ Dymock) and continue for 1 mile.
- **Straight on at B4215 (signposted Brooms Green/ Bromsberrow)
- Left (signposted Leddington) and continue for 2 ¼ miles
- Right at T Junction A44 (signposted Ledbury)
- Straight on at roundabout and onto Town Trail to retrace to station.
||Numerous pubs and cafes|
||The Scrumpy House Restaurant (01531 660626)|
||The Bottle Museum Tea Rooms (01531 660108)|
||The Slip Tavern (01531 660246)|
||The Walwyn Arms (01531 660644)|
||The Beauchamp Arms (01531 890266)|
|Local Produce for Sale:|
|Many of these establishments are working farms, so it is advisable to phone before visiting to avoid disappointment.|
||apple juice, vegetables when available|
||apple juice, fruit in season, fruit preserves |
||ciders and perries|
||Lyne Down Farm
||ciders and perries|
||strawberries in season|
||meat and sausages from traditionally reared livestock; free range eggs|
Route 2: Pembridge - Directions
The basic 19 mile route starts at The New Inn in the centre of Pembridge. There are further detours to Arrow Cottage Garden (1 mile return trip), Monkland Cheese Dairy (5 1/2 mile return trip) and Westonbury Mill Water Garden (9 mile loop.) There is also a shortcut which will cut 9 miles off the basic route.
- Leave Pembridge up lane by The New Inn (signposted to Bearwood), go 2 miles, which will take you past Dunkertons Cider Mill. Turn right after Luntley Dovecote.
- (For the shortcut, turn left after the Dovecote and left hand bend (signposted Bereton) and go 1 mile. Turn right opposite Bidney. Straight over the A4112 into Dilwyn. Left opposite the church and go 1 mile to rejoin the main route at **.)
- Take the first left and go 2 miles. Straight over at 'Y' to main road, then left onto A4112 (signposted to Leominster). Turn right onto the B4230 into Weobley. Left into village centre. Leave Weobley, passing the Unicorn, and at the sharp right bend, go left (straight on) signposted to Weobley Marsh and Dilwyn. Turn right (signposted Ledgemoor.) Left, (unsuitable for heavy goods vehicles), and go 1 mile (caution - rough lane surface.)
- (For Arrow Cottage Garden, go straight over for Weobley Marsh and 2nd left signposted Marshpools Inn.)
- Take 2nd left (signposted Dilwyn) and go 1 mile. Straight over at crossroads (signposted Dilwyn) and go 1 mile. Left at T-junction (signposted Dilwyn), then right at T-junction. Right opposite church and go 1 mile. ** Left (unsuitable for heavy goods vehicles), right at T-junction, straight over A4112, right at T-junction and straight over A44 (signposted Burton Court.)
- (For detour to Monkland Cheese Dairy, right onto A44, 1st left and go 1 mile, right at T-junction onto A4110. 1st left and go 1 mile. Monkland Cheese Dairy is on your left just before you reach the A44. Retrace your route to return to Burton Court.)
- Right at T-junction (signposted Eardisland). Left before river bridge (signposted Old Ford picnic site) and go 2 miles. Left at T-junction and continue back into Pembridge.
- (Or, for loop to Westonbury Mill Water Gardens, right at the previous T-junction and immediately left (signposted Staunton on Arrow). Go 1 mile, left at crossroads (signposted Lyonshall), right after river bridge (caution children and animals), fork left at Grove Cottages sign and go 1 mile. Left at post box (signposted Lyonshall) and go 1mile. Left (signposted Shobdon), right (signposted Marston) and go 1 mile. Left onto A44 and go 350 yards. Right into Westonbury Mill Water Gardens (www.westonburymillwatergardens.com.) On leaving, turn left onto A44 and go 600 yards. Left (signposted Weston) and go 1 mile. Left at T-junction (signposted Bearwood) and go 2 1/2 miles. Left at crossroads and return to Pembridge.
Refreshment Opportunities & Local Produce
The Kings House 01544 388029
||The New Inn 01544 388427|
||The Red Lion 01544 388188|
||numerous pubs, cafes and tearooms|
||The Marshpools Inn 01544 318215|
||The Crown Inn 01544 318063|
||Monkland Cheese Dairy Cafe & Farmshop 01568 720307|
||The Monkland Arms 01568 720259|
||The Cross Inn 01544 388249|
||The White Swan 01544 388533|
||Tea Rooms 01544 388226|
||Marston Meats Farm Shop & Tea Room 01544 388328 (Wed-Sun 10am-6pm, other times by arrangement)|
Cycle Hire company - Wheely Wonderful Cycling 01568 770755 or visit www.wheelywonderfulcycling.co.uk.
Wheely Wonderful only deliver on the Pembridge Cider Cycle route.